FALL MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
Lawn and Garden
- Trees, shrubs, and hedges - Cut back all excessive growth and remove any dead or diseased branches. Protect from deer and colder weather
- Lawn - Fertilize, the fall is an ideal time to fertilize as the grass roots will absorb and store the nutrients. Seed lawns patchy spots.
- Garden tools - Store gardening tools in a safe, dry place.
- Hoses - Drain and store outdoor hoses.
- Irrigation - Drain and turn off system.
- Foundation - Check under house for mold, rot, ponding, any indications of excess moisture.
- Roof - Inspect roof surface, flashing, eaves and soffits, repair as necessary.
- Gutters and downspouts - Clean out, inspect and repair any weaknesses, check for proper drainage and adjust as necessary.
- Siding - Inspect and clean siding, repair as necessary. Check all paint, caulk, mortar, grouts, sealants. Scrape, clean, and replace as needed.
- Windows and doors - Check operation. Replace any cracked glass, tighten or repair loose or damaged frames and repaint as necessary, replace broken, worn, or missing hardware, tighten and lubricate door hinges, closures.
- Window screens - Take screens out. Wash and store. Repair or replace. Label.
- Chimney - Have a certified chimney sweep inspect and clean the flues.
- Pathways - Check for cracks in asphalt or concrete on driveway, sidewalks, and paths. Repair as necessary.
- Fences - Inspect fences and stone walls and their gates.
- Porches and decks - Inspect for sagging ceilings, loose rails or boards, and damaged steps. Repair as necessary.
- Pool and spa - Close for season.
- Outdoor furniture - Clean and store all outdoor furniture.
- Automobiles - Clean and prepare for winter storage.
- Hot water heater - Drain, flush and refill.
- Heating - Have a heating professional check your system.
- Plumbing pipes - Look for signs of leaks and corrosion. Check all pipe insulation.
- Drains - Check for speed of drainage. A slow drain may be a clog or a blocked vent pipe.
- Water pressure - Check water pressure.
- Caulking - Check tub and shower caulking. Replace as necessary.
- Crawlspace or basement - Check for moisture, fungus and mold.
- Ceiling fans - Make sure they are well secured after heavy summer use. Reverse motor on ceiling fans.
- Doors and drawers - Check operation. Look for swollen spots and sticking, Lubricate hinges and glides.
- Ceilings - Inspect ceilings for stains, which could indicate a roof or plumbing leak.
- Attic - Inspect for holes in roofing. Look for signs of animal activity or entry points. Inspect insulation for damp spots.
- Washer - Check washer hoses for signs of aging or leaks. Replace as necessary.
- Dryer - Check dryer vents for tears. Vacuum or brush out lint.
- GFCI Outlets - Test all outlets.
- Carpets - Have carpets cleaned.
- Water filters - Change if necessary
- Safety equipment - ensure that all smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers are in good working order. Replace batteries in appropriate devices as needed, or at least twice each year.